Hiking & Biking
Bays Mountain Park features over 25 miles of beautiful hiking trails that cover most of the 3500 acres of the park. Take a relaxing stroll around the lake or, for the more adventurous, make the trek up to the fire tower. Now matter where you go, you’re sure to encounter natural wildlife and amazing scenery.
- Be sure to take a current Trail Map with you on your hike. Trail maps are also available at the Nature Center.
- Bays Mountain is a nature preserve. Please remember to respect the natural environment by staying on the designated trails.
- Take drinking water with you and stay properly hydrated.
- Take a cell phone with you in case of emergency. If you do get lost, call the Nature Center immediately at (423)229-9447.
A great way to explore some of the lakeside trails at Bays Mountain. Pick up an orienteering map and log sheet at the Nature Center.
Several GPS units are available for rental at the Bays Mountain Nature Center.
- GPS units are available for DAILY rental at the rate of $5.00 per unit.
- Rental fee is payable ONLY by credit card.
- GPS units are available for pick up and return during regular building hours. Units must be turned in 30 minutes prior to closing.
Whether getting in a good workout on an old JEEP road or challenging one’s self on a single track trail, Bays Mountain Park offers over 25 miles of trails that provide fun and adventure for mountain bikers of all skill levels. Bikes must be mountain worthy for safety. Please have all bikes checked and registered at the Nature Center gift shop.
Mountain Biking Registration and Release Form
Mountain Bike Regulations and Trail Map
Important Information for All Riders:
- Only certain trails are open to mountain bikes. Be sure to take a current Trail Map with you on your ride. Trail maps are also available at the Nature Center.
- All riders must register their bikes at the Nature Center Gift Shop. There is a one time fee of $2.00 to register your bike. To register, bring your completed form to the Nature Center. Once we inspect your bike you will receive a sticker to place on your bike.
- Helmets are required at all times.
- Bays Mountain is a nature preserve. Please remember to respect the natural environment by staying on the designated mountain bike trails.
- Do not ride up/down the Park entrance road. The road is too narrow to safely accommodate both vehicles and bikes.
- Do not ride through animal habitat.
- Do not ride across dam.
- No motorized, motor assist, pedal assist or E-bikes allowed.
- Be mindful of others who are also here to enjoy the peaceful nature of Bays Mountain. Be sure to let hikers and other riders know that you are approaching by calling out your intentions (i.e., “Passing on the left!”).
- Yield trail to wildlife.
- No alcohol permitted.